Oct 6, 2007

MAS Talk

What a nice dinner. Surrounded by intellectual people. Felt really shallow there haha. My table was like discussing CPF & aging popln issues. And I think being the only student from Engineering, the exec directors always wanted my views in response to the girls from accountancy.

"So, what course would you choose if you can turn back time?"

Accountancy girl : "I would still choose accountancy...blah blah (didnt actually bothered to hear her explanation - I should have huh..)

Exec Director: "What is the engineer's response to this"

Me (stunned): erm, (i think i didnt answer the qn directly...just mentioned why i chose engineering in the first place - the accountancy girl was staring...bet she thought I was like dumb or smth)

Exec Director (looking at me): What do you think the retirement age will be in the future?

Me : (i heard it but I was like totally lost) oh...come again?

Exec Director: (repeats qn)

Me : Oh, with the advancement of medicine and all, the life expectancy might be 100 in the future, and we might not be able to think of retirement till we are 75.

(Accountancy girl smiles as if like "100...siao...!")

oh btw, she kinda looked like nana...haha!! -.-

Think I didn't really leave a good impression to the Exec Directors. Keep talking about how I like to try new things to diversify my portfolio. When the MD took the stage he mentioned he don't like people who learn smth for 6 months then ask to learn another thing. "It must not always be 'me'...must also see how you can contribute to the company"

hMm. Overall it was an eye opening experience. Would gladly settle in MAS as a career. The working culture sounds great. Lots of opportunities available. And if I were to get into macroeconomics policy dept, my contributions would directly affect sg's economy! So yea, though I fared miserably in the "group interview" during dinner, still took back some positives from it.

Dinner was like french cuisine. Big plate, small servings. The water did help make me full. Although the aftermath of it was that I had to leave for the toilet in the middle of the MD's talk.



P.S. Think business school pple are quite easy to talk to. Managed to continue an extended conversation with this girl during cocktail session just by asking "hey where did you get this brochure from"

That's like the worst pick up line ever la... It worked nevertheless. Hah.

No comments: